Comprehensive Guide- How To Start Blogging And Earn Passive Income in 2022
If starting a blog is your dream, then this is the post you need.
Hey reader, do you want to start a blog but didn’t get the right guidance to do so? Don’t worry, you are not alone. There are millions of people around the world who want to start a blog, but a lack of guidance and technical knowledge are what stop them. Over the years, we have helped thousands of users create a blog.
We have created this post especially for those who want to learn how to start a blog effortlessly.
It’s a comprehensive post in which we’ll guide you through every step to make it as simple as possible so that you can start blogging with out any technical knowledge base.
The procedure to start a blog is super simple and straightforward. Just follow the step by step guide and you will be blogging in no time. This tutorial will guide you about blogging and all the important resources you’ll need to get started with a blog.
What is a Blog?: Basic Definition
A blog is a piece of content that contains text and images. It usually includes both written and graphic features, all of which are presented in an easy-to-read style so that readers can quickly explore and discover what they’re searching for. People use blogs to share their thoughts and knowledge with others.
Hey, I want to start blogging. but I am not sure what to write.
Don’t worry, you can write a blog on any topic you want, like. Just pick a topic you’re enthusiastic about and start writing. If you are busy or you don’t have adequate knowledge about the topic, then you can hire a freelance writer to write for you.
With more than 35 million bloggers in the United States on their own, you may discover blogs on almost any topic, from home improvement to baking to small business marketing methods. The options are absolutely unlimited after you’ve acquired a readership.
Why should you start a Blog?
People create blogs for a number of reasons, including the following:
- Share Your Thoughts with the Rest of the World – Sometimes all you want is to be acknowledged and have your thoughts broadcast into the cosmos. A blog can assist with this because it’s a means of communication and a platform that’s all yours. You may use your imagination and enthusiasm to design a location that is uniquely yours, where you can exchange your knowledge, expertise, and experiences.
- Make a Pitch for a Product or Service – A blog is frequently used by small company owners as a type of content marketing. Written content may be an effective technique to engage potential consumers and make them feel closer to the product or service you’re selling.
- Make Profits – With time and commitment, blogging may be profitable. The greatest approach to realize the financial benefits of your effort is to provide high-quality content on a regular basis that attracts new readers and increases traffic to the site. This will help your blog attract sponsors and can also help you establish yourself as an online influencer, which may lead to affiliate marketing opportunities.
- Create a Virtual Community – We no longer have to live in the same area, state, or even nation to feel linked to people thanks to the internet. A blog is a place where you can share your experiences, thoughts, and start discussions with individuals who share your interests from all over the world.
Steps you'll need to follow to start a perfect blog, from concept to completion!
1. Select the Best Niche for Your Blog
Let’s get away from the practical and get into the realm of theory. Take a step back and consider the most important aspect of your blog’s structure, from its Web address and domain name to its layout and structure: your blog’s expertise. What precisely do you want to write about on your blog?
When it comes to topics, there are essentially no boundaries. The most important thing is to choose a specific focus area that will serve as the focal point of your whole blog. Fashion blogs, marketing blogs, and news blogs are some of the examples of possible blog genres. Because there are so many blogs devoted to the same topics, you’ll need to find a way to stand out while still posting about what you enjoy.
Here are three easy steps to guide to find the ideal blog niche—one that not only aligns with your interests but also allows you to earn and expand your blog:
- Narrow Your Interests: – When starting a blog, consider the long term. You’ll need to write about something you’re passionate about. Something that can keep you motivated to write on a regular basis. Your efforts will rapidly dwindle if you choose a topic purely on the basis of its popularity or profitability. It’s quite fine if you’re not sure what you should blog about. Begin with a basic brainstorming session on topics you’re interested in. What makes you happy when you talk about it? What topic makes you feel the most intrigued?
- Investigate Your Target Market: – The next step in starting a blog is to figure out what topics people like to read about. If your blog grows in popularity, you may be able to make money from it and eventually become a full-time writer. With a little market research, you can figure out how much demand there is for any particular area. Start by checking Google Trends, which will show you how many viewers are searching for a specific topic or what the most popular queries are in today’s world. The more queries a topic receives, the more popular it becomes.
- Check if it’s profitable or not– Whether you start a personal blog or a professional blog, it’s always good to examine whether your idea is profitable. Even if you’re just starting out as a leisure blogger, you should consider future monetization alternatives in case your writing turns into a job. As a blogger, you can make money in a variety of ways, but affiliate marketing is one of the most popular. As an affiliate marketer, you can partner with firms and promote their products or services on your blog. Whenever someone uses your affiliate link to buy that product or service, you’ll get paid a percentage of that sale. Consider whether you might start a blog as an affiliate to see whether your niche is successful.
2. Select the Best Blogging Platform to start a blog!
Selecting a blogging platform is the first step in starting a blog. Blogging platforms play a very important role in blogging. As a beginner, you’ll need a blogging platform that’s easy to use, easy to set up, and doesn’t require any technical skills.
Before you select any platform, you need to think about what kind of blog you want to create and what kind of features you would like to add to it, now or in the future. There are numerous blogging platforms available on the market, all of which claim to be the best blogging platforms for beginners, but only a real user can tell you which one is best to start a blog.
Check out the Best Blogging Platforms for beginners in 2022.
If you are looking for a platform that is easy to use, offers unlimited customization, and doesn’t require coding skills, then WordPress is the platform you should choose. Here we are talking about WordPress.org. Don’t get confused between WordPress.org and WordPress.com. Both of them are different and offer different features and functionalities.
Some major differences between WordPress.org and WordPress.com are
Best for Beginners.
Professional Bloggers should use this
It is an open source blogging platform which means it is completely free to use.
It is a self hosted blogging platform which means you have to pay for it. It’s cheapest plan start from $4/month.
You can customize your blog completely using free and paid themes and plugins. Currently, there are more than 57,000+ plugins in the WordPress directory.
Only paid users can install unlimited plugins and themes.
You have to buy a domain name and webhosting.
You will get free domain name and webhosting.
No customer support.
You will get Premium Support from WordPress.
You can monetize your blog by using Google Ad sense.
Only paid plan users can monetize their blogs.
For beginners, we recommend WordPress.org. It is one of the most popular blogging platforms in the world. More than 40% of the world’s websites are powered by WordPress. It’s an open-source blogging platform that allows you to setup your blog with a few clicks. The best thing about this platform is that it is completely free. After this let’s move to next step where you have to pick the best webhosting to start blogging.
3. Select the Best Web Hosting Service.
After you’ve decided on a blogging platform, you’ll need to decide on a hosting platform. To start a WordPress blog, you need a reliable web hosting service. The web hosting service will provide you with the servers. Your website/blog data will be saved on those servers with a unique address. Whenever a visitor visits the website/blog, it will show the data to him.
If you’re not certain which hosting service is best for you, consider the following factors:
- Uptime: Uptime refers to how long the server that hosts your website is up and functioning. A high uptime rate (99.95 percent or more) indicates that the host’s servers are performing properly.
- Bandwidth It is the volume of data that your website can send to servers in a given length of time. This component is determined by the size of your web pages as well as the expected volume of visitors.
- Customer service: If something goes awry, you can approach customer service. In an ideal world, your hosting provider would provide an online support center, callbacks, and social media responses to inquiries and complaints.
- Price: One of the most important factors to consider before purchasing any hosting is the price. There are thousands of webhosting companies available on the internet that claim that they are the best, compare their side by side.
- Renew Fees: Most web hosting companies offer special discounts/deals for the first year and charge a very decent amount for the first year, but when the customer renews the plan, he has to pay a very heavy amount. So, always compare the web hosting initial price with their renewal price and then pick the right one, because once you pick one, it becomes very difficult to transfer to another web hosting.
Normally, webhosting starts at $7/month and goes up to $100/month (depending upon which plan you pick). But what if I told you that there is a webhosting that is one of the most reliable and well-performing webhosting in the world? Not only that, it is also one of the hosting companies that is officially recommended by WordPress. And you can buy this hosting at a very affordable price.
Yes, you got it right. It’s Bluehost. The most famous WordPress webhosting company in the world. Thanks to them, they have agreed to offer our users a free domain name and an over 60% discount.
We personally use Bluehost webhosting and recommend it to all beginners who want to start blogging.
4. Choose a Domain Name (Your Blog Name).
When you’re considering start a blog, the subject of what to call it is almost certainly on your mind. A domain name, often known as a URL, is the online address of your website. People will use this address to visit your blog.
There are three primary paths you may take with the name of your blog. These are
- Don’t use special keywords like “@”, “%”, “$” etc.
- Pick a name that is easy to pronounce and remember.
- Pick a unique title (short and sweet is perfect).
The majority of personal blog titles are derived from the creator’s nickname. Other blogs are titled according to the subject matter or industry in which they are published. You should also consider the persona you want your blog to represent while naming it. Is it necessary to keep everything official and professional? Are you looking for something sweet and poetic? unconventional and quirky? “
You can try name generator websites to get some ideas.
After you’ve made your decision, you should not delay picking up a domain name.
5. WordPress Blog Setup
When it comes to setup your blog, most of the time, people get nervous and make some big mistakes. Don’t worry, you don’t have to panic.
Just follow this step-by-step guide in which we will guide you through how to setup your WordPress blog. Before we will guide you on how to setup a new blog you have to buy a reliable webhosting and domain name.
For webhosting, you can trust Bluehost. As we told you earlier in the post, it is one of the leading WordPress webhosting companies and has more than 2 million happy customers around the world. It is officially recommended by WordPress. The best thing about Bluehost is that it offers a one-click WordPress installation. Yes, you read it right. Let’s check out the complete process.
1. Buy Webhosting and Domain Name
Go ahead and buy your domain name and web hosting.
On the next screen you can select the plan you want. For beginners we recommend the Basic Plan.
Move forward to next page and where you will be asked to choose a domain name for your website. Enter the desired domain name, then select the extension (.com,.in,.co, etc.), and finally click the Next button.
If the domain is available, it will be added to your cart, but if not, you can make some modifications to the name, then try again. For example, if you want the bestwebsite.com domain name but it is already taken by someone, then you can modify it using some keywords or numbers like bestwebsites.com or thebestwebsite.com and buy the domain.
If you want to skip this step, you can click on “I’ll create my domain later.”
On the last page, you need to add your personal details like name, address, contact details, etc. and finalise the plan to complete the process. We recommend a 36-month plan because that offers the best value.
Scroll down a bit and you will see Packages Extras that you can purchase. It’s entirely your decision if you want to buy them or not. We generally don’t recommend them to beginners. Don’t worry, you can add them at any time.
Once you complete the payment, you will receive an email from the Bluehost team with details using which you can login to your web hosting control panel (cPanel).
2. Install WordPress
When you sign up for Bluehost using our link, they will automatically install the latest version of WordPress. The latest version is quite easy to use and specially designed for non-technical users so that they can start their blog effortlessly.
Log in to your Bluehost account and then click on the “Login to WordPress” button. Well, other than that, there is another way that can be used to login to your WordPress website. Just go to yourwebsitename/wp-admin. Use your login credentials to login and save them for future use.
3. Install Themes
Now that you are logged in, it’s time to make the necessary changes.
First, we will change its look and feel. Your WordPress blog’s appearance is controlled by the blog theme. If you visit your blog, you will notice that it looks very dull. To change its appearance and make your blog more attractive, you have to install a beautiful theme.
There are 52000+ pre-made WordPress themes available in the WordPress library that you can install on your site. Some of them are free, while others are Premium (paid) themes.
After you’ve installed your desired theme, go to the Appearance menu and select Customize from the drop-down menu. There will be built-in plugins and customization options depending on the theme you pick, allowing you to adjust your blog’s style.
A WordPress page builder gives you, even more, design flexibility by allowing you to create a personalized header, footer, bar, and more without having to write any HTML code. These plugins provide you greater creative customization than Wix or Squarespace while allowing you to use the sophisticated WordPress content management system to its full potential. You’re ready to write your first blog post now that you’ve chosen your WordPress theme.
4. Posting Your Very First Blog Article
Click the Posts » Add New option in your WordPress dashboard to start writing a blog post. You’ll see a text editor where you can start writing your first blog entry. WordPress employs a block-based editor in which each element is represented by a block. This helps you to build stunning blog post content layouts. Once you’ve finished writing, click the Publish button at the top-right edge of the screen to publish your blog to the public. There are also additional areas on the posts page, such as Categories and Tags. These may be used to divide up your blog content into sections.
WordPress can be used in a variety of languages. You may choose your language during installation or via the WordPress admin area’s Settings page. WordPress has been entirely translated into 56 languages and is partially transcribed into dozens more. Many of the most popular WordPress plugins and themes are also multilingual. You may also use Google Translate to translate a template or a plugin for your website.
- Customizations & Plugins
After you’ve created your first blog post, you’ll probably want to start adding additional common website features like contact forms, galleries, sliders, email lists, forums, and so on. Plugins are required to implement all of these extra features. WordPress plugins are programs that allow you to extend the functionality of your website without having to write any code. In the free WordPress plugin library alone, there are approximately 59,800 plugins accessible. This implies that whatever you want to do, you can find a plugin for it.
To make a professional-looking WordPress blog, you don’t need any software, coding, or design expertise. WordPress themes are simple to alter, and you can set up your theme with only a few clicks. There are WordPress themes, such as Astra, that provide pre-built starting sites that you can install with a single click. Other strong themes, such as Divi, provide extensive drag-and-drop design possibilities for designing your blog.
Then there are strong drag-and-drop page generators that work with any Website template, such as SeedProd and Divi builder. You may simply drag and drop elements to create your own pages. Without entering any code, you may even develop your own unique theme.
- Creating a Contact Form
Creating a Contact Form It enables your users to send you direct emails. You’ll need a WordPress form builder plugin to create a contact form on your site. By heading to Plugins > Add New and putting WPForms in the search box, you may install the plugin. After that, select “Install” and then “Activate.” After activating the plugin head over to WPForms> Add New to build your first form. This will bring up the WPForms builder. To begin, give your contact form a name and then select the ‘Simple Contact Form’ template.
WPForms will now generate a basic contact form with all of the needed fields for you. You may update any field by clicking on it, or you can add a new one from the left column. After you’ve finished changing the form, save it by clicking the Save button in the upper right corner, and then leave the form builder. By navigating to Pages > Add New and naming it ‘Contact,’ you can now build a new page in WordPress.
The WPForms block must be entered into the editor on the edit screen. Then, from the drop-down option, choose the form you prepared earlier, and WPForms will display a live preview of your form in the editor. To see your contact form in action, save and publish the webpage and access it in your browser. It’s a good idea to test your form to ensure that it is working perfectly.
- Google Analytics Tracking: How to Set It Up
Google Analytics allows you to track how many people visit your blog, where they come from, and what they do while there. Install Google Analytics when you first launch your blog so you can see how much it has grown substantially. To get started, go to Google Analytics and sign in with your Gmail account. You may then create a free Google Analytics account once you’ve logged in.
You will be prompted to submit your contact information as well as the URL of your website. Following that, you’ll be given your Google Analytics tracking code. You may stop right now since we’ll utilize a plugin to fetch and apply this code to your blog for you.
Install and activate the MonsterInsights extension in your WordPress admin area. It’s the free version of the finest Google Analytics plugin for WordPress, and it’s the simplest method to include Google Analytics into your website. To adjust the plugin settings, go to Insights » Settings after it’s been activated. To link Google Analytics to your WordPress site, go to the settings page and select the ‘Connect MonsterInsights’ option.
- Make Your WordPress Blog SEO-Friendly
When starting a blog, most people don’t think about Search engine optimization (SEO), which aids users in finding your blog through search engines. If you want your blog to get more traffic, you need to start optimizing it for SEO right now. Installing and activating the All-in-One SEO plugin is the first step. It’s a full-featured WordPress SEO plugin that will assist you in optimizing your blog.
The plugin includes a fast configuration wizard to guide you through the process. It will guide you through creating a WordPress sitemap, writing suitable keywords and meta descriptions, implementing schema markup, and much more.
Aside from employing a WordPress SEO plugin, you may use a keyword research tool to further improve your blog content. These SEO tools assist you in developing new content ideas based on what people are researching for in your field. You can also check which keywords your rivals are ranking for so you can improve your content and outrank them. This will help you get the most visitors to your new blog site straight away.
- Plugins and Customizations for WordPress
You may install a slew of additional WordPress plugins as well. Searching for the plugins that are required might be intimidating for novices. Here is a list of the finest WordPress plugins that you must check out, according to experts.
- Backup – You should always back up your blog on a regular basis in case something goes awry and the best free WordPress backup plugin is UpdraftPlus.
- Security – Sucuri Security is a free WordPress security scanner. We offer a thorough beginner’s WordPress security tutorial that will assist you in securing your blog.
- Performance — To speed up WordPress, we recommend utilizing either WP Rocket (paid) or WP Super Cache (free).
- Design & Customization — For modifying your homepage design, building bespoke landing pages, or even designing custom themes, we recommend utilizing either Elementor or Divi page builders.
- Traffic and Subscribers — We strongly advise using PushEngage’s push alerts. This allows you to stay in touch with visitors after they’ve left your site.
Email Marketing — As an email marketing provider, we recommend Constant Contact or GetReeesponse.
- Getting Paid for Your Blog
If you want to establish a blog with a significant following, you’re probably also hoping to profit from it. Making money through blogging may be done in a variety of ways. Affiliate marketing, advertising on your site, offering paid subscriptions, writing sponsored material, selling e-books and items, and providing consulting services are some of these alternatives. It’s simpler to write compelling articles and earn more money online if you choose the correct niche for your blog.
You will be rewarded if you are prepared to put in the effort and hard work. Keep in mind that there are no shortcuts.
Here are some of the most effective options to monetize your blog.
- AdSense by Google
Many bloggers monetize their sites by displaying advertisements. Google AdSense is the greatest approach to monetize a blog if you want to generate money from it.
How Google Ads work?
It is the most popular ads publishing platform. Google acts as a mediator between you and the marketer, allowing them to bid on keywords that match your content. This helps you to receive the greatest possible pricing for your advertisements.
- Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is the next most popular way for bloggers to make money. Basically, you promote your preferred items/services to your audience, and you get paid a referral commission if they buy them.
Affiliate marketing is all about recommending high-quality items and services that you already consume and believe in. There are several affiliate marketing plugins and solutions available for WordPress that may assist you in making more money by advertising affiliate items. As a must-have, we propose PrettyLinks or ThirstyAffiliates.
- Online Store
Many bloggers generate money by selling products directly on their websites. Physical products, online downloads such as ebooks, artwork, music, and other items may be included. Some bloggers go so far as to provide advisory services.
We suggest WooCommerce since it is the greatest WordPress eCommerce plugin. It’s also the most popular eCommerce system in the market.
Some bloggers don’t want to deal with the effort of setting up their own store, so they set up an Amazon affiliate store, which allows them to sell other people’s things on Amazon and earn commissions. You may also use your blog to create a membership site where you can sell premium material and courses.
Tips to Increase Traffic to your Blog
- Conduct Keyword Research – Finding the right keywords are critical if you want people to visit your articles. By focusing your article on certain phrases, you enhance the likelihood of your blog showing in search results webpages for those terms. Some keywords might be a little more evident than others, depending on your topic. You may also use free keyword research services to fine-tune your keywords.
- Make an Editorial Schedule – It’s a good approach to make sure you create high quality content on a regular basis, hold yourself responsible as a writer, and stay on track with your writing goals. Your readers are expecting new material, and you must provide it. Furthermore, while calculating your site’s overall position, search engines consider how frequently you post.
- Advertise on Social Media – Social networking is a great location to share your content and get people to notice your site. It’s a terrific approach to find new readers whether you advertise your blog on Facebook, Insta, Twitter, or LinkedIn.
- Invest in Sponsored Ads: In addition to promoting your content on social media, you can pay to promote them so that they touch a larger audience. You may also pay for Google advertisements to reach new people via the search engine.
So, this concludes how to start a blog. As you have read through, we are sure it would be sounding very easy and practical to you. Just follow each step and you would be good to go and start making money.