Manchester United will face Harry Kane’s new Bayern Munich side in the group stage of the 2023-24 Champions League, while Newcastle United will meet Paris Saint-Germain.
United, who memorably beat Bayern in the 1999 final, will also take on Copenhagen and Galatasaray in Group A, while champions Manchester City will face RB Leipzig, Red Star Belgrade and Young Boys in Group G.
PSG, Borussia Dortmund and AC Milan have been drawn in a heavyweight Group F, alongside Newcastle United — returning to the competition for the first time in two decades.
The 32 teams were drawn from four pots into eight groups at a ceremony in Monaco, with sides from the same country unable to face each other until the knockout rounds.
Real Madrid, 14-time winners, will take on Napoli, Braga and Union Berlin, while Barcelona have been drawn against Porto, Shakhtar Donetsk and Antwerp.
The group stage runs from September to December, with UEFA set to confirm the full fixture list and kick-off times by Saturday morning at the latest.
Wembley Stadium in London will host the final on June 1, 2024.
Champions League groups in full
Group A: Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Copenhagen, Galatasaray
Group B: Sevilla, Arsenal, PSV, Lens
Group C: Napoli, Real Madrid, Braga, Union Berlin
Group D: Benfica, Inter Milan, Red Bull Salzburg, Real Sociedad
Group E: Feyenoord, Atletico Madrid, Lazio, Celtic
Group F: Paris Saint-Germain, Borussia Dortmund, AC Milan, Newcastle United
Group G: Manchester City, RB Leipzig, Red Star Belgrade, Young Boys
Group H: Barcelona, Porto, Shakhtar Donetsk, Antwerp
When are the Champions League group games?
The full fixture schedule will confirmed in due course.
- Fixture 1: September 19/20, 2023
- Fixture 2: October 3/4, 2023
- Fixture 3: October 24/25, 2023
- Fixture 4: November 7/8, 2023
- Fixture 5: November 28/29, 2023
- Fixture 6: December 12/13, 2023
How does the Champions League group stage work?
Teams in each group play each other twice, home and away, with the top two advancing to the round of 16.
The third-placed sides in each group transfer to the Europa League knockout round play-offs, where they will face the Europa League group runners-up for a place in the last 16 of that competition.
Other key 2023-24 Champions League dates
- Round of 16 draw: December 18, 2023
- Round of 16 first leg: February 13, 14, 20 & 21, 2024
- Round of 16 second leg: March 5, 6, 12 & 13, 2024
- Quarter-final and semi-final draw: March 15, 2024
- Quarter-final first leg: April 9 & 10, 2024
- Quarter-final second leg: April 16 & 17, 2024
- Semi-final first leg: April 30, 2024 & May 1, 2024
- Semi-final second leg: May 7, 2024 & May 8, 2024
- Final: June 1, 2024
(Photo: Getty Images)